Mitosis and meiosis are two different types of cell division, which are well known in the world of biology and cells.
The cell is the most basic and functional unit of a living being, which is essential for life, and, in a living being must always have one or more cells.
There are several types of cells, between which we have cell prokaryotes and eukaryotes. The eukaryotic cells are animal or vegetable. Eukaryotic cells are more evolutionarily advanced, and the prokaryotic cells the more primitive.
As the cells die, it is necessary that they reproduce so that the body remains alive, creating copies of the genetic material of the same. The prokaryotes make this with the cell fission and the eukaryotes use other systems, called mitosis and meiosis.
Both processes of cell division are needed to perpetuate the cell genes and therefore they have been studied in schools and colleges.
The difference between mitosis and meiosis is usually a typical question from biology test, and it is necessary to learn it well to not suspend the text.
From the education section of misterhows.com, we will explain the difference between these two processes of cell division, which are very simple and quick to learn and understand.
What do you need for How to difference mitosis and meiosis?
- You need know about basic biology, for example, you need know what a cell and other terms.
Instructions for How to difference mitosis and meiosis
- Mitosis: mitosis is a process of cell division, quick and easy, with which we can clone a cell stem in two cell daughters with identical genetic code to the original cell. It is a method used in all living beings and make to perpetuate the existence of a cellular genes. The way of doing this, is to split the nucleus of the mother cell into two. To split in two, the resulting cells have the same chromosomes that the stem cell, leaving two completely identical cells together.
- Meiosis: Meiosis is another process of cell division, characteristic of sexual reproduction, creating from a Zygote cell and four cells with genes from the Zygote cell daughters. The Zygote cell is created from a fusion of the human egg and sperm, what happens in sexual reproduction. The process is complex, since it is done in four phases. The early stages are used to create a complex chromosome within the Zygote and separate it and the final phases are a mitosis of the two resulting cells. Meiosis serves for the offspring have genes different from the parents. The embryos are a genetic fusion of genes from their parents.
- Differences: The first difference is that meiosis only exists in animals with sexual reproduction and mitosis exists in animals with sexual and asexual reproduction. In meiosis, the Zygote should be a duplication of chromosomes because when the Zygote performing the first division it lost half of them. On the other hand, in meiosis, cells do not lose chromosomes so it must not be duplicated when it comes to the division. Finally, meiosis allows genetic variation and mitosis does not allow it.
Tips for How to difference mitosis and meiosis
- The importance of genetic variation: meiosis is very important, because the genetic variability in the progeny, favors the survival of the best genes. If a cell in the sexual reproduction was not different from its parent, these genes would end up damaging and would not survive long.
- A mitosis meiosis within: mitosis happens in meiosis, because the second cell division that happens in the cells is a mitosis, because this creating two identical cells from each daughter cell, brood process required to ensure that at least one of the cells reach the mother’s womb and born